Please click on the orange icons on the right of this page to see the websites about each of our individual museums.
Forthcoming Events at Portsmouth City Museum
Saturday 25th October to Sunday 2nd November
Art Detective Challenge
Take the Art Detective Challenge and explore the museum's Picture Gallery with our 'Journeys' themed, self-guided trail. Claim your special museum sticker when you complete the activity.
Trail sheets cost 50p.
Tuesday 28th to Friday 31st October
October Half Term Drop In Days.
Themed activities for the half term holidays including;
- Explore the Lest We Forget Exhibition
- Try tracing your WW1 Ancestors online
- Battleship Games – Championship
- Letters from the Trenches – readings at 1100 and 1400 each day (for adults and young people)
- Simple make and take art and craft activities
Please see each day's theme in the events below. 10.30am - 4pm. Free
Tuesday 28th October
Discover The Hampshire Regiment in the First World War.
Guest Stars: The Royal Hampshire Regimental Museum. 10.30am - 4pm. Free
Wednesday 29th October
Discover The Women Workers of Portsmouth Dockyard in the First World War.
Guest Stars: Portsmouth Museum and the Portsmouth History Centre. 10.30am - 4pm. Free
Thursday 30th October
Discover The Army Medical Services in the First World War.
Guest Stars: The Army Medical Services Museum. 10.30am - 4pm. Free.
Friday 31st October
Discover Portsmouth in the First World War.
Guest Stars: Portsmouth Museum and the Portsmouth History Centre. 10.30am - 4pm. Free.
Saturday 15th & Sunday 16th November
Discover the revolutionary role of the tank in the First World War as War Horse tank comes to Portsmouth
The tank was developed during the First World War and made its first appearance on the battlefields of the Western Front in September 1916. It provided troops with mobile protection and firepower and was a terrifying sight for opposing troops. Discover the key role played by Portsmouth and the Royal Naval Gunnery School at HMS Excellent in the development of the weapon that introduced a new era in modern warfare.
- See the life size replica Mark IV First World War tank used in the film War Horse
- Meet staff from the Tank Museum, Bovington and HMS Excellent, Portsmouth
- See shells, replica uniforms and other objects
- Learn about the role of the tank in the First World War – talk at 2pm each day
- Visit the Lest We Forget First World War Centenary Exhibition
10.30am - 4pm each day.
Admission free. No need to book.
Please note: you are advised to check the website or call 02392 826722 before travelling specifically for this event as it may need to be cancelled at short notice if the ground is water logged due to the weight of the tank.
No events currently confirmed
Saturday 24th January
First World War Researchathon
Help us to beat the clock and uncover the hidden stories of Portsmouth men and women during the First World War on the final weekend of Lest We Forget, our Centenary Exhibition.
- Meet experts from the history department at University of Portsmouth
- Learn new skills that will enable you to use online resources to research the experiences of your own ancestors during the First World War
- Help us to piece together the stories of Portsmouth people during the First World War and record them for future generations
- Explore the Lest We Forget exhibition
- Free 'make and take' craft activities for younger visitors
10.30am - 4pm
Admission free. No need to book.
Children under 13 must be accompanied by an adult at all times. Details are correct at time of upload. Every effort will be made to keep this site up-to-date but Portsmouth City Council reserves the right to make changes to the programme in the event of unforeseen circumstances. Tel: 023 9282 6722 Fax: 023 9287 5276
For details of events at the City Museum, and others at all our museum sites, please click here.
Details are correct at the time of upload. Every effort will be made to keep this site up-to-date but Portsmouth City Council reserves the right to make changes to the programmes in the event of unforeseen circumstances.